CONCEPT OF 505 (b) (2) APPLICATION: BENEFITS AND CHALLENGES
A 505(b) (2) application is a new drug application (NDA) delineated in section 505(b)(2) of the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.505(b)(2) application is one that one or a lot of the investigations relied upon by the applicant for approval "were not conducted by or for the applicant and has not obtained a right of reference or use from the person by or for whom the investigations were conducted. Section 505(b) (2) was added to FFDC Act by the Drug price competition and Patent Term Restoration Act of 1984 (Hatch-Waxman Amendments). The applicant will depend on either revealed literature or agency’s findings of an antecedent approved drug. This approval route was designed to encourage innovation and to eliminate expensive and long duplicative clinical studies.
2. US FDA. Guidance for Industry Applications Covered by Section 505(b)(2) [Internet]. U. S. Department of Health and Human Services Food and Drug Administration Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) 1999 Oct [Cited 2014 May 27]; Available from: www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/ Guidances/ucm079345.pdf
3. Lauren S S, Pharm. D. Assistant clinical professor, School of Pharmacy. Understanding the 505(b)(2) approval process. University of Connecticut; 2006 Aug.
4. Code of Federal Regulations 21, the Office of the Federal Register National Archives and Records Administration as a Special Edition of the Federal Register [Internet]. 1998 Apr [Cited 2014 May 27]; Available from: www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2000-title21-vol1/content-detail.html
5. Dettelbach K. Patent and Non-Patent Exclusivities. [Internet]. 2007 [Cited on 2014 June 02]; Available from: www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/ Centers Offices /CDER/ucm118696.pdf
6. Food and Drug Administration, United States of America. [Internet]. 2014 [Cited 2014 May 27]; Available from:
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM