INDONESIAN PATENT SYSTEM: AN OVERVIEW
Intellectual property protection is a one type of protection to the innovator from their creative efforts. On November 1, 1991, the Indonesian Parliament passed Law No. 6/1989 on Patents. The new law came into effect on August 1, 1991. The patenting system in Indonesia is discussed using some recent statistics and their fees, patent exclusivity, litigation, grace period. As of 1989, there have been over 13,000 applications for temporary patent registration, 96% of which were of foreign origins. None of the applications were denied, were ever granted because no patent Law existed. In this paper discussed brief introduction about Indonesia patent system.
2. IP hall Indonesia. [Internet]. [Indonesia]: patent Indonesia; 2012 [cited 2014 may 16]. Available from:
3. WIPO. Directorate general of intellectual property [Internet]. [Indonesia]: Directorate general of intellectual property (Indonesia) as Designated (or elected) office; 2010 Jan [cited 2014 may 18]. Available from:
4. General Information about Intellectual Property in Indonesia available at the website. [Internet]. [Indonesia]: Directorate General of Intellectual Property Rights. [cited 2014 may 14]. Available from:
5. Indonesia ASEAN IPR SME helpdesk IP Country Factsheet ‘European Commission’ [Internet]. ASEAN IPR SME helpdesk; 2014 Jan [cited 2014 may 15]. Available from: http://www.asean-iprhelpdesk.eu/
6. Fabiola M S, Indonesia's New Patent Law: A Move in the Right Direction, 9 Santa Clara High Tech. L.J. [Internet]. 1993 [Cited 2014 May 15];:9(1): 265. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM