REGULATORY REQUIREMENTS FOR DRUG PRODUCTS REGISTRATION IN SOUTH AFRICA
The South African Pharmaceutical market is one of the emerging markets in the world and it is important to study on how to register a drug in the promising pharmaceutical market in Africa. The MCC is the regulatory body which deals with the quality, safety and efficacy of the medicines in South African market which regulates by approving the medicines by very specific process which is unique to South African health system. They have a specific type of CTD for Regulatory submissions which is generally well known as ZA CTD. This article provides the insight on the Drug Registration process in South Africa, the details of data to be submitted to the agency and the pathways of registration an applicant can avail, categories a drug can be registered by MCC, Application fees to be paid to the agency on various types of applications are also dealt.
2. Medicines Control Council [Internet]. MCC; 2003 [cited 2015 Oct 07]. Available from:
3. MCC composition and structure [Internet]. MCC; 1965 [cited 2015 Oct 04]. Available from:
4. Medicines Regulatory Affairs [Internet]. MCC; 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 03]. Available from:
5. Regulatory Requirements for the ZA CTD [Internet]. SAPRAA; 2010 Sep 15 [cited 2015 Oct 09]. Available from: www.sapraa.org.za.
6. Registration of medicines [Internet]. MCC; 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 02]. Available from:
7. Application form for registration of medicine [Internet]. MCC; 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 08].
http://www.mccza.com/dynamism/default_dynamic.asp?grpID=30&doc=dynamic_generated_page.asp&categID=177&groupID=30 6.01_MRF1 application for registration of a medicine (Zip 39kb)
8. CTD Pagination document [Internet]. ICH; 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 11]. Available from:
9. Dossier requirements for registration of medicines in South Africa [Internet]. SAPRAA; 2010 [cited 2015 Oct 10]. Available from: www.sapraa.org.za
10. Review and approval process of drug product [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2015 Oct 12]. Available from: http://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dossier%20review%20process%20in%20south% 20africa%20(mcc)&source=web&cd=9&ved=0CF8QFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.qdot pharma.com%2Fdocs%2FRequirements_for_MCC_submission.pdf&ei=neADUPVuhu2sB_ _A0ZEG&usg=AFQjCNFXFCAnxEB4cskhWbFNAOcfoNXlrw.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM