Transnail drug delivery device:A prominent approach for Onychomycosis therapy
Onychomycosis is often challenging therapeutically and demands a multipronged approach both in terms of systemic as well as topical delivery. The conventional treatment modalities available for onychomycosis are marred with challenges such as low permeation, infection reoccurrence and resistance development. Henceforth, the current article explores the concept of a Transnail drug-delivery device as a promising tool offering high clinical potential and aesthetic suitability against onychomycosis.
and intra-individual inter-finger, inter-hand and inter-day variabilities, and the influence of nail plate hydration, filing and varnish. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008; 70:6849. DOI: 10.1016/j.ejpb.2008.05.018
2. Elewski BE. Onychomycosis: pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management. Clin Microbiol Rev. [Internet]. 1998 [cited 2018 Oct 20]; 11(3):415-29.
3. Onychomycosis.JPG [Internet]. 2009 Jun 27 [cited 2018 Oct 18]. Available from:
4. Gupta AK, Simpson FC. New pharmacotherapy for the treatment of onychomycosis: an update. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2015; 16(2):227-36.
5. Iorizzo M, Piraccini BM, Tosti A. Today’s treatments options for onychomycosis.J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2010; 8(11):875-9.
6. Onychomycosis nailed Leelavathi M, Noorlaily MN. Onychomycosis nailed. Malays Fam Physician. 2014; 9(1):2-7.
7. Alley MR, Baker SJ, Beutner KR and Plattner J. Recent progress on the topical therapy of onychomycosis. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2007; 16:157-67.
Zeenat et.al. International Journal of Drug Regulatory Affairs. 2018; 6(4):42-45
e-ISSN: 2321-6794 
8. Shivakumar HN, Juluri A, Desai BG and Murthy SN. Ungual and transungual drug delivery. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2012; 38:901-11.
9. Murdan S. Drug delivery to the nail following topic1al application. Int J Pharm. 2002; 236:1-26.
10. Akhtar N, Sahu S, Pathak K. Antifungal potential of tolnaftate against Candida albicans in the treatment of onychomycosis: development of nail lacquer and ex vivo characterization. PBR. 2016; 2(3):1-2. DOI: 10.18869/acadpub.pbr.2.3.1
11. Hussan SD, Santanu R, Devina S, Vishal B, Manmohan S. Transungual drug delivery-a novel approach of unique features. Am. j. pharm. Res. 2013; 3(6).
12. Hasan N, Singh M, Sulaiman S, Nandy S, Dudeja M, Ali A, Iqbal Z. Design, development and optimization of a transungual duple nail lacquer for onychomycosis therapy. Journal of the J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol. 2018 Jun; 32(6): e250-1.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM