Vegetable Capsule Shell: Types and Regulation
Typical gelatin sourced capsule shells have been used for almost a century in the pharmaceutical field. Gelatin is largely derived from cows, pigs and other animals. In the recent time to satisfy the religious belief, cultural and personal issues towards non-veg capsules shell and patients’ preference towards the medications contains only vegetarian source and increasing demand of vegan food research on vegetable source of capsule shell increase. Hydroxypropyl methyl cellulose (HPMC) is primary material studied and used in manufacturing of vegetable capsule shell. This review covers published literature and discussion regarding alternate option of gelatin capsules shell as vegetable capsule shells.
2. S. Gousia Begum, Y. Hasmitha, U. Girija Reddy, M. Deepa, K. Supraveena Reddy, R. Susmitha. A review on manufacturing and evaluation of capsules. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 May 22]; 6(8):98-105. Available from:
3. Paresh M, Mo. Ansari A, Patel M, Khinchi M. P., Agrawal D, Sharma N. A Review on Recent Advancement in Capsule Formulation. Am. J. PharmTech Res. [Internet]. 2013 [cited 2021 May 20]; 3(1):1-14. Available from:
4. Bharat V. Jain, Md. Rageeb Md. Usman, Sandip R Pawar, Naresh R Patil, Pratik J Patil, Shashikant N Sharma. A Vegetarian Capsule: A Review. International Journal of Pharmacy Research and Technology [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2021 May 21]; 2(2):10-12. Available from:
5. Sheladiya Dipak V, Sodha Hiten, Ketan Shah and Tusharbindu Desai. Vegetable Capsule Shell. International Journal of Pharmaceutical and Chemical Sciences [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2021 May 19];1(3):1248-1255. Available from:
6. HPMC Capsules. An offering that vouches for an absolute vegetarian product inside out [image on the Internet]. acg-world.com. [date unknown]. [cited 2021 Jun 28]. Available from:
7. Overview of pharmaceutical empty capsules including empty vegetarian hard capsules & empty hard gelatin capsules for oral pharmaceutical applications [Internet]. pharmacompass.com. [date unknown]. [cited 2021 Apr 16]. Available from:
8. Vegetable Empty Capsule Product [Internet]. honestsh.com. [date unknown]. [cited 2021 Apr 16]. Available from:
9. Kathpalia H, Sharma K, Doshi G. Recent trends in Hard Gelatin capsule delivery System. Journal of Advanced Pharmacy Education & Research [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2021 May 23]; 4(2):165-177. Available from:
10. Unnisa SA, Arunjyothi G, Harika K, Nikhila D, Reddy MS. A Review on Veggie Caps. International Journal of Innovative Pharmaceuticals Sciences and Research [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2021 May 21]; 2(9):1988-2013. Available from:
11. Plantcaps® Capsules. [image on the Internet]. Lonza Capsules & Health Ingredients. [date unknown]. [cited 2021 Apr 20]. Available from:
12. New hard capsules: W.O. Patent application no: 2012095746 A2 [Internet]. World Intellectual Property Organization, International Bureau; 2012 [cited 2021 Jun 30]. Available from:
13. Dagadiye Ravindra B, Kajale Archana D, Mahajan Vandana K, Joshi, Manisha H. Advancement in Manufacturing of Non-Gelatin Capsule Shell-A Review. International Journal of Advances in Pharmaceutical Research [Internet]. 2012 [cited 2021 May 29]; 3(10): 1178-1187. Available from:
14. Monograph for Hard Cellulose Capsule Shells. AMENDMENT LIST-004 to the 7th edition of Indian Pharmacopoeia 2014 [Internet]. Indian Pharmacopoeia; 2016 Nov 28 [cited 2021 Apr 17]. Available from:
https://dfda.goa.gov.in/attachments/article/294/Amendment List 4 (Hard Cellulose Capsule Shells).pdf
15. MAPP 5016.6, for Change in Hard Gelatin Capsule Shell Supplier. Manual of Policies and Procedures, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research [Internet]. US FDA; 2016 Aug 15 [cited 2021 Jun 19]. Available from:
16. Hard Hypromellose Capsule shells monograph. USP, Pharmacopeial Forum (PF) 42(4) and PF 44 (5) [Internet]. The United States Pharmacopeial Convention [cited 2021 Apr 16]. Available from:
17. Hota R, Panda S, Mishra SR. A Review on Vegetarian Capsules. World Journal of Pharmaceutical Research [Internet]. 2018 [cited 2021 May 29];7(9):316-323. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM