MEDICAL DEVICE REGULATION IN US, EUROPE, CHINA AND INDIA
Medical Device is an emerging market in last two decades since the use of medical device is escalating throughout the world. Millions of patients worldwide depend on Medical Device for the diagnosis & Management of diseases. Regulation of the Medical Device varies within the country are based on their own Regulatory bodies. In US Medical Devices are regulated by FDA- Centre for Devices & Radiological Health, in EU they are regulated by European Medical Agency, in China they are regulated by State Food & Drug Administration and in India they are regulated by Central Drug Standard Control Organization. Regulations of these countries and IMDRF, MDPWG were reviewed. Advantage of harmonizing regulations also reviewed.
2. Wikipedia [Internet]. Medical Device introduction and Approval process; 2017 [Cited 2017 Feb 11]. Available from:
3. ASGE Technology Assessment. The role of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in device evaluation and monitoring. J Gie.2010; 72(1):5-10
4. Daniel B. Kramer, M.D., Shuai Xu. Regulation of Medical Devices in the United States and European Union [Internet]. J Med 2012 Mar [Cited 2017 Feb 17]; 366:848-55. Available from:
5. Gupta Sandeep kumar. Medical Device Regulations: A current perspective. J Young Pharm. 2016; 8(1):6-11.
6. FDA [Internet]. ‘overview of device regulation’, Official website of US food and drug administration; 2015 Aug [Cited 2016 Feb 12] Available from:
7. FDA [Internet]. ‘overview of device regulation’, Official website of US food and drug administration; 2017 Mar [Cited 2017 Feb 12] Available from:
8. FDA [Internet]. ‘overview of device regulation’, Official website of US food and drug administration; 2016 Sep [Cited 2017 Feb 15] Available from:
9. The European Parliament and the Council of the European Union. Directive 2007/47/EC of the European Parliament and of 5 September 2007. Official Journal of the European Union [Internet]. 2007 Sept 30 [cited 2017 Jan 14]; 75(3):[about 35pp.]. Available from:
10. Emergo [Internet]. European CE marking Regulatory process for Medical Device; 2017 [Cited 2017 Feb 02] Available from:
11. Value in Health 18 (2015) A335-A766 – CE Marking [Internet] 2015 [Cited 2017 Feb 13] Available from:
12. Emergo [Internet]. India CDSCO Medical Device Registration and Approval; 2017 [Cited 2017 Feb 07] Available from:
13. Paddock R. Medical Device Regulatory profile for India, office of Health and Consumer Goods, [Internet]. [India]: International Trade Administration; 2010 Jan [cited 2017 Jan 15]. Available from:
14. EU SME Centre [Internet]. [Beijing]: Guidelines on Medical Device Registration; 2016 [cited 2017 Jan 26]. Available from:
15. Sall B. Regulation of Medical Device article [Internet]. [Beijing]: 2008 [cited 2017 Jan 26]. [about 41pp.]. Available from:
16. A Kaushik, KS Saini, B Anil, and S Rambabu. Harmonized Medical Device Regulation: Need, Challenges, and Risks of not harmonizing the Regulation in Asia. J Young Pharm [Internet]. 2010 Mar [cited 2017 Jun 14]; 2(1):[about 6pp.]. Available from:
17. George B. Regulation of Medical Devices. Perspect Clin Res [Internet]. 2010 Sep [cited 2017 Jun 24]; 1(3):[about 3pp.]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM