A review on ANDA submission requirements for Generic drugs: “Paragraph IV certification” as per FDA CDER guidelines
USFDA is one the most regulated agencies wherein the submission process is most critical. The study depends on how to submit ANDA application as per FDA, CDER guidelines in paragraph IV submission in Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act). No drug would be available in the market until and unless it get approved by Regulatory Authorities. “Paragraph IV Certification” is useful for exclusive right to market the generic drug for 180 days. Submission is for the company which is seeking to copy branded drug before expiration of patents to get benefit over it, a generic applicant must provide in its application a "certification" that a patent submitted to FDA by the brand-name drug's sponsor and listed in FDA's Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (the Orange Book). A Generic Product must meet the standards established by FDA in RLD (Reference listed drug). This study covers the introduction of ANDA submission to FDA and ACT related to the submission in to paragraph IV and the details of ANDA filling in the eCTD format and overview of review process the checklist to the applicant.
2. Details of “ANDA” are the abbreviation for “Abbreviated New Drug Application” [Internet]. REGULATORY ONE ; 2018 [cited 2012 Jan 24]. Available from:
3. Role of FDA's Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) [Internet]. U.S FDA; 2015 [cited 2015 Aug 18]. Available from:
4. Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (Orange Book) [Internet]. U.S FDA; 2018 [cited 2018 May 17]. Available from:
5. Approved Drug Products with Therapeutic Equivalence Evaluations (Orange Book) [Internet]. U.S FDA; 2018 [cited 2018 May 17]. Available from:
6. History of Generic Drug Approval [Internet]. Health day; 2018 [cited 2018 Jan 20]. Available from:
https://consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/drug-center-16/misc-drugs-news- 218/history-of-generic-drugs 646390.html
7. History of Generic drug approval [Internet]. Wikipedia; 2018 [cited 2018 May 21]. Available from:
8. Indispensability grounds for Generics [Internet]. SSlide share; 2012 [cited 2018 May 17]. Available from:
9. Sokal and Bart A. Gerstenblith article about the hatch-waxman act: encouraging innovation and generic drug competition Hatch-Waxman Act [Internet]. Finnegan; 2018 [cited 2018 May 23]. Available from:
10. General provisions of the act Recent additions to the Hatch-Waxman Act Under the “Medicare Prescription Drug and Modernization Act”, 2003 [Internet]. Slide share; 2012 [cited 2018 May 25]. Available from:
11. ANDA certification clauses [Internet]. Gphaonline; 2018 [Cited 2018 May 11]. Available from:
12. Patent Certifications, Paragraph IV Certifications List [Internet]. FDA;2018 [cited 2018 May 27] Available from:
13. Paragraph IV certification Section& Patent Challenge Successful [Internet]. Slide share; 2014 [cited 2018 May 22]. Available from:
14. Para IV procedure [Internet]. Ezine article; 2010 [cited 2018 Jun 02]. Available from:
15. Detailed information on Paragraph IV challenges for drugs launched since 1994 [Internet]. cornerstone research; 2018[cited 2018 May 09]. Available from:
16. ANDA Submission Requirement: ANDA Forms [Internet]. FDA; 2018[cited 2018 May 06]. Available from:
17. Requesting a Pre-Assigned ANDA Number [Internet]. FDA; 2018 [cited 2018 May 12]. Available from:
18. Electronic Submissions modules in CTD [Internet]. ICH.Org; 2016 [cited 2018 May 13]. Available from:
19. Module I. Administrative and Prescribing Information [Internet]. ICH.Org; 2016 [cited 2018 May 11] Available from:
20. Module II. Summaries and Overviews and Module III: information on product quality [Internet]. ICH .Org; 2002 [cited 2018 May 13]. Available from:
21. Module IV. Non clinical study reports [Internet]. ICH .Org; 2002 [cited 2018 May 24] Available from:
22. Module V:[Internet] clinical study reports ICH .Org :2002[cited 2018 May 14]. Available from:
23. eCTD template [Internet]. FDA; 2018 [cited 2018 May 12]. Available from:
24. eCTD test submission. ijpacr [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2018 May 14]; 3(3). Available from:
25. ANDA Submissions - Refuse - to - Receive Standards [Internet]. FDA- 2018 [cited 2018 May 22] Available from:
26. ANDA filing checklist [Internet]. FDA; 2018 [cited 2018 May 15]. Available from:
27. ANDA review process flow chart [Internet]. Slide share; 2014 [cited 2018 May 09]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM