Filing of DMF in US, Canada & Europe
DMF (Drug master file) is a kind of confidential document which contains complete, factual and correct information about active pharmaceutical ingredient or finished drug dosage form. A DMF can be used by holder who establishes the file or by one or more parties in support of their files or applications. The Drug master file consist of 2 parts:- (a) the applicant’s part – that contains all the information that the license holder needs to review about quality of drug product & (b) the restricted part – which contains all the confidential information about the manufacturing process that can only be presented in front of authorities. The purpose of this article is to present an overview of DMF filing in different countries which are USA, CANADA, and EUROPE. In USA, CANADA the drug master file is known as DMF only but in EUROPE it is known as ASMF (active substance master file).
2. Drug Master File [Internet]. Slideshare; 2018 [cited 2018 Dec 23]. Available from:
3. Shravya K, Swathi P, Snigdha B, Rastrapal D & Suthakaran R. Regulatory Dossiers of ASEM Countries. IJPSR.2014; 5(8): 3144-51.
4. Guideline for Drug Master Files (DMF) [Internet]. FDA; 2015 Oct 11 [cited 2018 Dec 23]. Available from:
5. Drug Master File [Internet]. Wikipedia; 2018 [cited 2018 Dec 23]. Available from:
6. Shaw Arthur B. Drug Master Files. Drug Master Files under GDUFA: DMF Basics, United States; 2013.
7. Mithun E.G, Puranik S.B, Hasija N.K. An overview of registration of API (DMF) in regulated markets (USFDA, Canada, EU & EDQM (CEP). IJPPR.2016; 8(1):216-31.
8. Agarwal P, Badjatya J.K. DMF FILING IN US, EUROPE AND CANADA. International Journal of Drug Regulatory Affairs [Internet]. 13 Feb. 2018 [cited 15 Mar.2019]; 3(4):9-7. Available from:
9. European Medicines Agency. Guideline on Active Substance Master File. EU; 2013. p. 1-22.
10. P Akhilesh, T.M. Pramod Kumar. DMF Filing in United States, Europe & Japan. WJPPS.2014; 3(3):323-7.
11. Authority of the Ministry of Health. Guidance Document Master Files (MFs)-Procedures & Administrative Requirements: Health Canada, 2017. p. 1-32.
12. Drug & health products: Notice- Re: preparation of Drug master file (DMF) in “Non-eCTD Electronic-only” Format [Internet]. FDA; 2019 Jan 07 [cited 2019 Jan 12]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM