FDA’s new pharmaceutical quality initiative: Knowledge-aided assessment & structured applications
This review paper is about FDA’s new pharmaceutical quality initiative: Knowledge-aided assessment & structured applications (KASA). The aim of USFDA is Timely development, assessment, and approval of safe and effective drugs is pivotal for assuring the American public has access to quality medicines. At present, the new drug and generic quality assessment is performed using a written narrative. To modernize the assessment of drug applications, a KASA system has been initiated. KASA could become a system that captures and manages information about a drug product including risk identification, mitigation and communication, and control strategy. It does this through a structured IT framework that could completely replace the current unstructured text-based, narrative assessment.
2. Yu LX, Raw A, Wu L, Capacci-Daniel C, Zhang Y, Rosencrance S. FDA's new pharmaceutical quality initiative: Knowledge-aided assessment & structured applications. Int J Pharm X. 2019 Mar 17;1:100010. doi: 10.1016/j.ijpx.2019.100010. PMID: 31517275; PMCID: PMC6733282..
3. Public Meeting on Standardized Data for Pharmaceutical Quality/Chemistry Manufacturing and Control (PQ/CMC) White Oak Campus Silver Spring, MD19; 2018.
4. Public Meeting on Prescription Drug User Fee Act. Electronic Submissions and Data Standards: 2019.
5. FDA. PAT-A Framework for Innovative Pharmaceutical Development, Manufacturing and Quality Assurance [Internet]. US FDA; 2004 Sep [cited 2022 Apr 10]. Available from:
6. FDA. Pharmaceutical CGMPs for the 21st Century – A Risk-Based Approach [Internet]. US FDA; 2004 Sep [cited 2022 Apr 10]. Available from:
7. FDA. Guidance for Industry: Q9 Quality Risk Management [Internet]. US FDA; 2006 Jun [cited 2022 Apr 11]. Available from:
8. FDA. Guidance for Industry: Q8(2) Pharmaceutical Development [Internet]. US FDA; 2009 Nov [cited 2022 Apr 12]. Available from:
9. FDA. Compliance Program Guidance Manual: Pre-approval Inspections [Internet]. US FDA; 2012 [cited 2022 Apr 12]. Available from:
10. FDA, Draft Guidance for Industry: Established conditions: reportable CMC changes for approved drug and biologic products. When finalized, this guidance will represent FDA’s current thinking on this topic [Internet]. US FDA; 2015 May [cited 2022 Apr 12]. Available from:
11. FDA, Guidance for Industry Advancement of Emerging Technology Applications to Modernize the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Base, 2017. [Internet]. US FDA; 2017 Sep [cited 2022 Apr 12]. Available from:
12. Standardized Data for Pharmaceutical Quality, Chemistry Manufacturing and Control; Public Meeting - A Notice by the Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2018 Aug 22 [cited 2022 Apr 12]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM