REGULATORY PERSPECTIVES OF PHARMACEUTICAL PRODUCTS IN GHANA
Drug Registration is a procedure of expertise of pharmaceutical product quality, efficacy and safety by the Regulatory Authority. The emergence of various formats has enabled the manufacturers of the drug to easily gain access into various markets and thus was able to place their products into the market. The choice of Ghana as one of the destinations for the market of the Drug products ensures the manufacturer a good market value. Ghana is considered as one of the growing pharmaceutical market in east Africa. Of late, generic drugs are holding a major stake in the pharmaceutical market and are gaining more and more confidence in the usage. Majority of medicines in the Ghana are generic drugs which are considered as value for the money and affordable. With Ghana Regulatory Authority is the Food and Drugs Board, which takes decision to register the product and issues Registration Certificate. This study mainly focuses on the regulatory environment, registration process involved and the regulatory requirements that are applicable for the generic drug products in Ghana.
http://www-wds.worldbank.org/external/ default/ WDS Content Server/WDSP/IB/ 2013/09/12/ 000 356161_20130912164522/ Rendered/PDF/810220 WP0Ghana0900PUBLIC0Box379825B.pdf
2. Eurapharma sets up shop in Ghana. Contact [Internet]. 2008 Oct [Cited 2013 Dec 25]; 52:13-17. Available from: http://avis-cameroun.com /contact/52en/CONTACT 52-GB.pdf
3. Al-Bader S. Science-Based Health Innovation in Sub-Saharan Africa [PhD thesis]. Institute of Medical Science, University of Toronto; 2011.
4. Andoh D. The industry’s issues and promise [Internet]. Business & Financial Times; 2012 Apr [Cited 2013 Dec 28]; Available from:
5. Harper J, Gyansa-Lutterodt M. The viability of pharmaceutical manufacturing in Ghana to address priority endemic diseases in the West Africa sub-region [Internet]. GTZ; 2007 [Cited 2013 Dec 21]; Available from:
6. Food and Drugs Authority. Guidelines for Registration of Allopathic Drugs [Internet]. 2012 Jun [Cited 2013 Dec 27]; Available from: http://www.fdaghana.gov.gh/images/stories/pdfs/downloads/drugs%20guidelines/GUIDELINES%20FOR%20REGISTRATION%20OF%20ALLOPATHIC%20DRUGS%20(HUMAN%20&%20VETERINARY).pdf
7. Food and Drugs Authority. Fee Structure. [Internet]. 2012 Jun [Cited 2013 Dec 23]; Available from:
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM