STEVIA AN UNTOUCHED NATURE’S GIFT CAN BE A BOON TO DIABETIC
Plants and fungi are a vital part of healthcare. Over 80% of the global population rely on traditional medicine, much of which is based on plant remedies. Traditional Chinese medicine alone uses over 5,000 plant species.
There is a healing quality in nature, which has been known for centuries, be it taking time to smell the roses, meditating on a mountain, lying in a wildflower field, strolling by a meandering stream, or hiking in ancient redwood groves. Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, recognized this powerful attribute in his humbling statement:
Nature cures—not the physician. Hippocrates
2. Stevia plant (herb) nutrition facts and health benefits. [Internet]. nutrition-and-you; 2015 [cited 2016 Feb 2]. Available from:
3. Cardello HM, Da Silva MA and Damasio MH. Measurement of the relative sweetness of stevia extract, aspartame and cyclamate/saccharin blend as compared to sucrose at different concentrations, Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 1994; 54: 119-30.
4. Srimaroeng C, Chatsudthipong V, Aslamkhan AG and Pritchard JB. Transport of the natural sweetener stevioside and its aglycone steviol by human organic anion transporter (hoat1; SLC22A6) and hoat3 (SLC22A8). J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2005; 313: 621-8.
5. Boonkaewwan C, Toskulkao C and Vongsakul MJ. Anti- Inflammatory and Immunomodulatory Activities of Stevioside and Its Metabolite Steviol on THP-1 Cells. J Agric Food Chem. 2006; 54: 785-9.
6. Sehar I, Kaul A, Bani S, Pal HC and Saxena AK. Immune up regulatory response of a non-caloric natural sweetener. Stevioside. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2008; 173: 115-21.
7. Chan P, Xu DY, Liu JC, Chen YJ, Tomlinson B, Huang WP and Cheng JT. The effect of stevioside on blood pressure and plasma catecholamines in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Life Sci. 1998; 63: 1679-84.
8. Melis MS. Chronic administration of aqueous extract of Stevia rebaudiana in rats: renal effects. J Ethnopharmacol. 1995; 47: 129-34.
9. Melis MS. A crude extract of Stevia rebaudiana increases the renal plasma flow of normal and hypertensive rats. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1996; 29:669-75.
10. Bracht AK, Alvarez M and Bracht A. Effects of Stevia rebaudiana natural products on rat liver mitochondria. Biochem Pharmacol. 1985; 34:873-82.
11. Abudula R, Jeppesen PB, Rolfsen SED, Xiao J and Hermansen K. Rebaudioside A potently stimulates insulin secretion from isolated mouse islets: Studies on the dose, glucose and calcium – dependency. Metabolism. 2004; 53:1378-81.
12. Lailerd N, Saengsirisuwan V, Sloniger JA, kulkao C and Henriksen EJ. Effects of stevioside on glucose transport activity in insulin-sensitive and insulin-resistant rat skeletal muscle. Metabolism. 2004; 53:101-7.
13. Gregersen S, Jeppesen PB, Holst JJ and Hermansen K. Antihyperglycemic effects of stevioside in type 2 diabetic subjects. Metabolism. 2004; 53:73-6.
14. Dyrskog SEU, Jeppesen PB, Colombo M, Abudula R and Hermansen K. Preventive effects of a soy-based diet supplemented with stevioside on the development of the metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes in Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Metabolism. 2005; 54:1181-8.
15. Food Safety and Standards (Food Products Standards and Food Additives) Amendment Regulation, 2015 relating to standards of Steviol Glycoside in various food products. [Internet]. India: FSSAI; 2015 Nov 20 [cited 2016 Feb 3]. Available from:
16. Wikipedia. Stevia. [Internet]. Wikipedia; 2016 [cited 2016 Feb 20]. Available from:
17. Kumar D. Pharmatutor. Are you diabetic don’t fear “come to desserts” [Internet]. India: Pharmatutor; 2016 [cited 2016 Feb 20]. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM