Similarities and differences in filing for Drug Master File in US, Canada and Europe
Drug Master File or DMF is a document prepared by a pharmaceutical manufacturer and submitted solely at its discretion to the applicable authority in the intended drug market. The document provides the non-supervisory authority with confidential, detailed information about installations, processes, or papers used in the manufacturing, processing, packaging, and storing of one or further mortal drugs. The DMF form allows an establishment to cover its intellectual property from its mate while complying with non-supervisory conditions for exposure of processing details. There is no non-supervisory demand to file a DMF. Drug Master Files (DMF) is a document containing complete information on an Active Pharmaceutical element (API) or finished drug capsule form. Though there are no non-supervisory conditions to file a DMF, the benefit of its use is inviting. A drug Master Files (DMF) is an voluntary non-supervisory submission and is submitted at the discretion of the DMF holder to help their guests. A DMF is NOT a cover for an IND, NDA, ANDA, or Export Application. It is not approved or disapproved. An Active Substance Master File (ASMF) is the presently honored term in Europe, formerly known as European drug Master file (eDMF) or a US- Drug Master File( US- DMF) in the United States.
2. Drug Master Files: Guidelines. U.S. Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2017 Nov 16 [cited 2023 Apr 6]. Available from:
3. Types of DMFs. U.S. Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2021 Jan 27 [cited 2023 Apr 6]. Available from:
4. DMF Submission Resources. U.S. Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2023 Mar 27 [cited 2023 Apr 6]. Available from:
5. Drug Master File Fee. U.S. Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2017 Jan 19 [cited 2023 Apr 22]. Available from:
6. Drug Master File – Food and Drug Administration. U.S. Food and Drug Administration [Internet]. US FDA; 2019 Oct [cited 2023 Apr 6]. Available from:
7. Guidance Document: Master Files. Health Canada/ Government of Canada [Internet]. canada.ca; 2022 Jun [cited 2023 Jun 30]. Available from:
8. Fees for Master Files. Health Canada/ Government of Canada [Internet]. canada.ca; 2022 Dec 16 [cited 2023 Apr 23]. Available from:
9. Active Substance Master File Procedure – Scientific Guideline. European Medicines Agency. [Internet]. EMA; 2019 Jun 17 [cited 2023 May 13]. Available from:
10. Guideline on Active Substance Master File Procedure. European Medicines Agency. [Internet]. EMA; 2018 Nov 8 [cited 2023 May 13]. Available from:
11. Sravanti VKL, Bandla R, Reddy Juturi RK. Filing of DMF in the US, EU, and India, and its comparative review. Int J Drug Reg Affairs [Internet]. 2021 Mar. 16 [cited 2023 Jun. 17];9(1):22-. Available from:
12. Danej M, Dedania R, Gandhi S, Randeria J, Gaurav K. Regulatory requirements for Drug master file in context to Canada and Australia. Int J Drug Reg Affairs [Internet]. 2018 Jun. 15 [cited 2023 Jun. 17]; 6(2):41-7. Available from:
13. Suraj Kause, Raut P. Drug Master File- A Review. Int J Drug Reg Affairs [Internet]. 2023 Jun. 15 [cited 2023 Jun. 17]; 11(2):50-3. Available from:
14. Kanti SPY, Jain N, Chandra A, Shukla VK. Filing of DMF in US, Canada & Europe. Int J Drug Reg Affairs [Internet]. 2019 Mar. 16 [cited 2023 Jun. 17];7(1):6-12. Available from:
15. Patel R, Girase KR, Rao VT, Patel AA, Patel RJ. Assessment of Regulatory requirements and filing procedure of Drug Master File for Brazil, Europe and South Africa. Int J Drug Reg Affairs [Internet]. 2022 Jun. 19 [cited 2023 Jun. 17];10(2):14-7. Available from:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs require a formal written transfer of copyright from the author(s) for each article published. We therefore ask you to complete and return this form, retaining a copy for your records. Your cooperation is essential and appreciated. Any delay will result in a delay in publication.
I/we have read and agree with the terms and conditions stated Page 2 of this agreement and I/we hereby confirm the transfer of all copyrights in and relating to the above-named manuscript, in all forms and media, now or hereafter known, to the International Journal of Drug Regulatory affairs, effective from the date stated below. I/we acknowledge that the IJDRA is relying on this agreement in publishing the above-named manuscript. However, this agreement will be null and void if the manuscript is not published in the IJDRA.
Download link for COPYRIGHT FORM